Image

Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Diabetes-Friendly Sugar Free Eggnog

I'm back again, folks, with another diabeetus-friendly recipe for the holidays. If you're like me, you love eggnog, and it was a kick in the gut the first time you realized you couldn't buy it anymore because frankly, it's loaded up with sugar. Once again, Splenda (or Stevia, if you prefer) comes to the rescue. Eggnog is so crazy easy to make, I find myself wondering why I ever paid for it to begin with.

Before I jump into this recipe, a necessary disclaimer: I use raw eggs in my eggnog. Yes, just about everyone has heard that you can get Salmonella from raw eggs. It's true, and I include this disclaimer by way of an "at your own risk" thing.

That being said, a recent study found that the actual odds of getting sick from raw eggs is astoundingly low. First, many eggs these days are pasteurized. Second, only about 1 in every 30,000 eggs has a Salmonella contaimination inside. Contamination is much higher on the shells, but we're not eating the shell. 

So there we have it: eating raw eggs is relatively safe, but do so at your own risk and don't say I didn't warn you of the potential dangers. If you want, it's possible to slowly cook the mixture to 140 degrees, but then you'll have to cool it off before you eat it. 

Also, you risk turning the eggnog into custard or sweetened scrambled eggs. Just saying. 

So here we go! Once more unto the breach!

Easy Sugar-Free Eggnog

Ingredients

4 raw eggs
2 cups milk
2 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup to 1 cup Splenda or Stevia (depending on how sweet you like it)
2 shots of dark rum (optional)*
1 tsp rum extract (optional)*

*one or the other, for gods' sake, not both!

Directions

Crack eggs into a blender. Add milk, vanilla, nutmeg, sweetener, rum or rum extract (if desired). Blend until frothy. Pour into tall glass and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Sophia, Goddess of Wisdom, and Mary Magdalene.

I'm not a mad bible thumper--Sophia, however, is my inspiration and always in my heart