Image

Blog Archive

Monday, April 19, 2010

Well, here I am again

Happy Monday. I'm back at this miserable-ass torturous job which wasn't so miserable-ass or torturous before mid-late March when my new boss got really kicking in his position. I wasn't particularly HAPPY here before then, but I wasn't miserable, either. We'd just gotten through a rough patch with a grant renewal and that was stressful, but the stress levels were coming way down and things were starting to look good again.

Then he came in.

Have you ever been at a job and you can just feel it going sour? And you know there's nothing you can do to stop it? This guy comes in with an "I want to fix EVERYTHING" attitude, combined with an attitude that he doesn't feel he should have to do most of the things in his own job description, so he's going to "shift responsibilities onto other people."

Other people being me.

His favorite phrase since he started has been, "I'd really like to get you more involved with [insert project here]." He also likes to tell us how sorry he feels for...pretty much everyone here except those of us who work for him.

I took a half day Friday for vacation time. I was wearing slacks instead of my customary jeans in the morning, and he came in and began interrogating me about it. "I forget, what did you say you were doing this afternoon again?"

I didn't. I shouldn't have to justify what I do with my own vacation time.

Not to mention, whether it was true or not, did he really think I was going to tell him, "Oh, I'm going on a job interview?" That would be pretty stupid. I told him I was just out of clean jeans...which was not a lie, incidentally. I'm wearing khaki's today. Can't wait to see if he badgers me about that, too.

I know, I know, "feel lucky you have a job" and blah, blah, blah. If that's all you've got to say about this, don't say anything.

I dunno, folks. Seems I've had piss-poor luck at my last two jobs, and leaving CIDDE back in October seems like the biggest mistake I've ever made. I've gotta get out of here soon, and find another way to fund school. I ain't making it here till next July when I finish my MLIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Sophia, Goddess of Wisdom, and Mary Magdalene.

I'm not a mad bible thumper--Sophia, however, is my inspiration and always in my heart